Here is a quick trick that allows you to use the character strengths of Judgment and Perspective to snap out of a bad mental space.
Use this trick when you've had a bad day, when something hasn't gone as well as you had hoped, or when you're simply stressed out.
- Answer this question: What is the #1 thing stressing/bumming you out right now (Your top challenge)?
- Now write a list of the Top 3 things you can APPRECIATE about your challenge.
An example from my own journal:
- Challenge = I don't have enough time in the day to do everything I need/want to do. Things are piling up, and many are simply not getting done.
- Three things I appreciate about this challenge:
- It forces STRUCTURE in my life.
- It helps me APPRECIATE the time I get to spend on things.
- It helps me WINNOW OUT the things are are not important.
And there you are: Gratitude is right there, to spice up the challenge. Nice!
Source of this exercise: Tal Ben-Shahar's The Pursuit of Perfect.